Friday, June 26, 2009

My big brother

A year ago this morning, I was standing beside my brothers hospital bed. We just took him off life support and I watched my brother pass away. My family misses him so much!

Glen Allen loved his daughter Molly Claire more than anything. He used to call me and talk about everything she was doing. He thought she hung the moon and the stars.

He loved his nieces and spoiled them. He would always buy their Christmas presents or birthday present items he would want to play with. Frannie has had GI Joe dolls and I think she even got a bb gun one year. He was just a big kid himself.

He also loved to cook! Hmmm I guess it runs in the family. Some of his friends and him would enter BBQ contests and they won a couple of times. He also won a chili cook off ( so have I at Pathways)

He never met a stranger. He loved to talk! ( yes this runs in our family also) He loved the outdoors. He fished and hunted any chance he could get.

I remember he would take me fishing at night. We would talk for hours while we were waiting on the fish to bite. He also took me trout fishing. That is one of my best memories. He also took me rabbit hunting. Apparently, rabbits are out even when there is 3 foot of snow . The first time we went hunting was right after a blizzard in SE Missouri. Mark Coatney and Glen Allen let me tag along. Dad made sure I was bundled up where I could barely move. I think we killed one rabbit that trip. He also taught me how to drive a stick shift in his Chevy S-10. He loved Chevy and our dad is a Ford man!

I also have another memory of being on his shoulders after his sixth or seventh grade band concert. We were a lot alike. We both are very stubborn, strong willed people. So we butted heads often. I could tell so many stories! He always made me laugh!

I miss him everyday!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I can see how trying to get thru this blog could be difficult! I miss Glen too! You know death isn't easy but, I know from experience that it's a new chapter...there is a heavenly porpose for not having Glen today. We all have a hard time in knowing what the purpose is...only the Lord knows. I know that you are going to be spending time with niece's next week...I sure hope Molly Claire is coming too! Find comfort when you talk to her and look at her that God's will is being done. Glen would smile knowing that!

    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not getting Molly next week since she is going to be on vacation the following week with her mom and her grandparents! Two weeks is a long time for an 8 year old to be away from mom even if it is with her cousins and her favorite aunt!LOL.

    I know God has a big plan by taking GA to be with him. I just want to be selfish and have him here with us.

    He thought highly of you, Lila! He called when he started working with you. He was so funny!

    ReplyDelete